The Carpinteria Woman’s Club dates back to 1894 when Mrs. Belle Oglesby Franklin began the club in Carpinteria after a similar club she was part of in Santa Barbara. She became the first President of the Woman’s Club. She also organized the Carpinteria Literary Club as a way for women to obtain higher education and self improvement. The Literary Club’s first courses of study were Shakespeare and pertinent American History. Over the next few years, membership grew and with it, areas of concern the Woman’s Club participated in.